Canon USA teases the Canon EOS R5c announcement

Jul 21, 2010
I can’t find any Canon Cinema camera reviews on DPR. Can you link to a few? One? The closest I got was their review of the Canon XC10 camcorder. Could be their search engine is biased…

If DPR hasn’t reviewed a single Canon Cinema EOS camera, do you still think they’d get a preview unit of this one? I’m guessing “no” but I suppose we’ll see if there’s a hands on review on launch day. Or maybe we won’t have to wait longer than the announcement that was teased to see if DPR’s ‘not an R5c but something bigger’ is true or is instead as reliable as many of their Canon camera reviews.
Or not even that long, since Canon UK apparently leaked that the teaser is, in fact, for the R5c. Sorry, DPR – wrong again.

Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Something that I hope they might add to the R5C that no one is talking about (or maybe I'm just the small minority that cares?) which I think would be very doable would be to add the WideDR profile to it. I own a C70 as my A-camera which I love and have a R6 as my B-camera. I shoot a lot for clients that don't want to deal with LOG footage and I find myself shooting the majority of the time in WideDR which I feel is a fantastic profile that gives you great looking footage straight out of the camera with little to no post work needed. My R6 and none of Canon's mirrorless cameras have WideDR and would love to have it to match my C70 footage perfectly. I shoot a lot of interviews with these two cameras together and can't get them to match exactly which is frustrating. All of the R6's non-LOG profiles have way too much contrast and crush the blacks and the closest I've been able to get it to WideDR is the neutral profile with the contrast brought all the way down and it still doesn't quite get to that dynamic range of WideDR. I'm leaning towards upgrading my R6 to the R5C and this one little addition would make it the perfect B-camera for me. Since WideDR is only available in Canon's cinema line and if they are indeed considering the R5C a cinema camera I'm hoping it will in fact have WideDR. Fingers crossed.
Interesting, thought the R6 had it. My XA50 has the WideDR profile, Clog3, Eos standard etc.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I’m curious if this is going to be the usual plastic body or magnesium alloy? I hate plastic and can’t see myself paying good money for poor materials. I’m pretty certain that the R1 will be my next canon body. I don’t known that it will make sense for me to keep my R3 once the R1 arrives?
And yet in my experience the ‘plastic’ EF L lenses I have have been better performers than the heavier metal ones I’ve owned. Engineered plastic is more durable and appropriate in many manufacturing cases than metals.

000D and00D series bodies can be dropped, burnt, and frozen, far outperforming a metal 1 series. 1 series bodies are very far from ‘tanks’ and can crack, I know this from personal experience.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I hope that Canon will have discovered the cause of the "rare phenomenon" that results in the R5 periodically locking up, and fixed it in the R5C.

It only happens rarely - (in my case, about 4 or 5 times in the year that I've owned mine), and can always be fixed by removing and reinserting the battery, but nevertheless it can be extremely annoying when a camera freezes for no apparent reason. I shoot with very fast CFE cards, and the lockups have occurred in single shot usage, as well as when shooting short bursts.

It would also be nice if Canon could fix the equally rare "phenomenon" which causes the IBIS unit to develop a mind of its own. Several times I've just been walking around with the camera turned on, ready for use, and the IBIS suddenly starts going "click-click-click-click" and can only be returned to normal operation by rebooting the camera. This issue only seems to arise with certain non-stabilised EF lenses - the IBIS seems to reach the extremity of its travel and then starts "banging its head against a wall".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I can’t find any Canon Cinema camera reviews on DPR. Can you link to a few? One? The closest I got was their review of the Canon XC10 camcorder. Could be their search engine is biased…

If DPR hasn’t reviewed a single Canon Cinema EOS camera, do you still think they’d get a preview unit of this one? I’m guessing “no” but I suppose we’ll see if there’s a hands on review on launch day. Or maybe we won’t have to wait longer than the announcement that was teased to see if DPR’s ‘not an R5c but something bigger’ is true or is instead as reliable as many of their Canon camera reviews.
I imagine it would depend on the pricing. If it’s not TOO much more than the R5, they might do it. After all they have two guys doing the reviews, one a stills guy and the other a video guy. They seem to be giving video more attention these days, whereas in the beginning he would just give a short bit of his feelings simply because he vas videoing the review, and so they gave him more to do.

so I feel that if this is around $5,000, or under, it’s likely they’ll do it but if it’s higher, the chance goes down with every dollar higher it gets.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
"They can" is the point.
Oh, I see. Then why are you bothering to test 4k and 6k video on the R3, "you can" shoot 8k on the R5? Sounds like you're planning to compromise.

Friends. I am going to a post house tomorrow to figure out a few things. Here is the list. Please let me know if you want me to check anything else!

Canon R3:
  • 6k Raw vs Raw light IQ Test
  • Raw light vs 4k-D IQ Test
  • 4k 60 fps vs 4k 120 fps IQ test
Canon R5:
  • 8k RAW vs 8k Raw Light
  • 8k vs 4k HQ
  • 4k HQ vs 4k.
  • 4k 60 fps vs 4k 120 fps IQ test

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I imagine it would depend on the pricing. If it’s not TOO much more than the R5, they might do it. After all they have two guys doing the reviews, one a stills guy and the other a video guy. They seem to be giving video more attention these days, whereas in the beginning he would just give a short bit of his feelings simply because he vas videoing the review, and so they gave him more to do.

so I feel that if this is around $5,000, or under, it’s likely they’ll do it but if it’s higher, the chance goes down with every dollar higher it gets.
Actually, I think what may matter more than the cost is whether or not Amazon sells it (directly). If Amazon will carry it, I expect we'll see a DPR review of it. Doesn't mean they'll get a pre-production copy, though.

Upvote 0
Do you ever wish your C70 had a viewfinder? One complaint that I've heard about the C70 is that in bright sunlight the screen on the back just washes out. I almost wish for a C70 with a C100-2 form factor.
I use an external viewfinder. A Zacuto Kameleon. It wasn't cheap and you need to power it (I use a Nano M series battery which has a D-tap output) but it's been working great for me. Coming from a C100mII myself I was initially really disappointed that the C70 didn't include one but now I really prefer the body style because it's so modular. I can build it up with things like an EVF but once it's stripped down of everything I can use it on a gimbal. The fact that the audio inputs are on the body and not the handle (like the C100 or any of Sony's cinema cameras) I can connect wireless receivers to it while on the gimbal. I'm really in love with the body's design of the C70 now that I'm used to it. Even though I thought it looked so weird at first. Haha.

Attachments

• IMG_0504.jpeg
    IMG_0504.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2384.jpeg
    IMG_2384.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I hope that Canon will have discovered the cause of the "rare phenomenon" that results in the R5 periodically locking up, and fixed it in the R5C.

It only happens rarely - (in my case, about 4 or 5 times in the year that I've owned mine), and can always be fixed by removing and reinserting the battery, but nevertheless it can be extremely annoying when a camera freezes for no apparent reason. I shoot with very fast CFE cards, and the lockups have occurred in single shot usage, as well as when shooting short bursts...
I wish it only happened 4-5 times a year for me. I understand that it's difficult to diagnose these occasional problems, but for as long as the R5 has been out, they really should have come up with a solution. But that would require Canon acknowledging they have a problem.

Upvote 0
My question is, as a hybrid shooter who is 95% photo, but that 5% of video is very demanding (long format, highest resolution/DR/color accuracy preferred), will this be a better option for me as a 2nd body, than a 2nd R5 or other stills body + Ninja V+ on my existing R5. Or maybe I keep the Ninja and rent this when I would ideally shoot long format video on a tripod and stills in my hands but stick with owning 1 body.
I have exactly the same thoughts - considering a 2nd R5. For wildlife photography the high resolution of the R5 makes it in my opinion the better option than e.g. an R3, as especially its low light performance and speed (incl. AF) are really great. Having not two identical bodies is always an interesting option for me. Hopefully, form factor and pricing will be alright - not too big and not too high compared with the normal R5. I a few days we will know more...

Upvote 0

so I feel that if this is around $5,000, or under, it’s likely they’ll do it but if it’s higher, the chance goes down with every dollar higher it getsP

Pricing will be around $4500

Upvote 0
I have exactly the same thoughts - considering a 2nd R5. For wildlife photography the high resolution of the R5 makes it in my opinion the better option than e.g. an R3, as especially its low light performance and speed (incl. AF) are really great. Having not two identical bodies is always an interesting option for me. Hopefully, form factor and pricing will be alright - not too big and not too high compared with the normal R5. I a few days we will know more...
It will be similar form factor to the current R5C and weigh approx 1.7lbs

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
It won’t be cheap. I wonder who buys them. With cameras for photographs you see an enthusiast group who produce great work but video standards are relatively poor. Generally it could be shot on anything given the content. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more niche TV production with good actors / scripts using this type of gear on a low budget but making it big time. Image quality is great, content tends to be the issue.
But there has. You just haven't done your research. Many projects use and have B roll clips. You simply aren't researching deep enough to obtain equipment and technical list of the cameras and equipment used. TV project are not considered low budget. Take a look at the SAG project budget guidelines. Main, parallel, and B cameras are used for different puposes. A little extensive research beyond blogs and rumor sites is a suggestion before an incorrect assumption as to what equipment is used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I’m curious if it comes in over or under the c70’s price. I imagine it will come in just a bit under. But inevitably people are going to compare the two a lot, even though they are differentiated quite well. I was hoping for a c90 to appear, but I might pick up an R5c to pair with my c70 perhaps.
'Ready for anything' to me says rugged, weather resistance and portable. Might be one of those pick two things.
I wouldn't give any credense to what DP review writes

• Haha
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I wish it only happened 4-5 times a year for me. I understand that it's difficult to diagnose these occasional problems, but for as long as the R5 has been out, they really should have come up with a solution. But that would require Canon acknowledging they have a problem.
Manufacturers are always extremely reluctant to recognise bugs, and canon is certainly not a leader in this regard.

I'm sure they run tens of thousands of simulations before products are released, but that doesn't appear to be sufficient to uncover all the potential problems.

Whenever I have a crash or frozen program on my computer, a dialog appears asking me if I want to send an error report to Apple so they can diagnose the cause. I guess one day all our cameras will be connected on the internet via data roaming, and error reports will be automatically transmitted, but probably not in my lifetime.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
But there has. You just haven't done your research. Many projects use and have B roll clips. You simply aren't researching deep enough to obtain equipment and technical list of the cameras and equipment used. TV project are not considered low budget. Take a look at the SAG project budget guidelines. Main, parallel, and B cameras are used for different puposes. A little extensive research beyond blogs and rumor sites is a suggestion before an incorrect assumption as to what equipment is used.

Many people forget just how many television and movie scenes were shot with the 5D Mark II and 7D back in the day.. The friggin' Avengers movie used 5D mark IIs and 7Ds for many shots. I dare anyone reading this to go back, watch the Avengers, and tell me which scenes were shot on a "lowly" Canon 7D. It just isn't possible. And that's a film with *basically* an unlimited budget.

Upvote 0