Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Apr 25, 2015
The RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM seems to have the exactly same optical construction as the EF-M version. The MTF seems copy paste.

And while the latter is a nice lens for the M-system, this is not the kind of zoom one would pair with a typical 7D/D500 replacement, so that might tell where Canon sees the market for the R7

The 18-45? that's just a hot mess. Nice and small and maybe it's just the same as the 15-45 but they stopped at 18 because QA is just so difficult from 15 to 18? but a 29mm to 75mm certainly isn't a nice range I want in the year 2022, not when it's competition is at 24mm. The 15-45mm once you got a good one on the EF-M was a really nice lens. Seeing that range now limited to a cerca 1990 zoom range? ick.

The 18-150 on the EF-M I loved. So I'm really interested in how this lens does. The magnification sounds fantastic. it's literally a "do-all" travel lens. if it's good - it's the lens that will sell an RF APS-C camera for me. But until there's an RF-S 11-22mm I'm certainly not moving from EOS-M

The 18-45 seems to be a limited EF-M 15-45mm. No Idea why canon starts which such a limited Lense. The 15mm are real usefull at EOS M. If there are Image quality problems with this lense, they should the job right an build a new one. Instead of 18-45mm, Nikon offers a 16-50mm, and this lense ist even smaller!

From The-Digital-Picture:

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Absolutely. IF current Rebel/xxxD users move to an R10 (a big if), DSLRs will be phased out. This may be the beginning of that process, but the price of the R10 guarantees it won’t close down DSLRs or the M series.

Those who claim the M line is dead are ignoring reality. Sadly, that’s a common failing these days.
Concur. I will NOT, with a cap N be selling my M50 or EF-M lenses. Moreover, I will prob add an M6ii to my M series collection. Even if they do scrub the M series line, I will not be upset, as there will be thousands of them out there in the re-sale market for yrs to come....meanwhile, I look fwd to receiving my R7 body from B&H. Once rec'd, if I don't like it(doubtful), I'm sure I would have no trouble selling it. I'm just pleasantly surprised at the low price on the R7 body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Another rumor website has quoted dimensions. They seem reasonable except that the depth (front-rear) of both cameras seems about 10mm too large.

I wonder if the R10 will be the basis for an M10 or the M-system is truly dying.

The depth probably includes the extension of the EVF on the rear of the camera.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Pics look interesting.

Something I don't get:
That AF/MF switch on the front side. I wouldn't want to have it there.
Why there? Why at all?
If it isn't on the RF-S lenses anymore, then make it SW in the camera menu.

I'd much rather have a direct AF/M switch than have to go menu diving.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Do 8th graders "graduate" now?
Sure they do. I graduated from the my parochial school 8th grade class in 1959. No such thing as middle schools, parochial or otherwise back then, if I can still remember that long ago. During that era, they did have Public school Jr. High's, grades 7-9, forerunner of modern day middle schools. Most private schools are still grades 1-8 and 9-12.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I'd much rather have a direct AF/M switch than have to go menu diving.
Michael, if you scroll back, this was much discussed out pages before.
I summarize that a switch is better than SW, position is personal taste, MF with STM and focus by wire is ... not my way to go ;)

Upvote 0
You really think it would be a $1000 camera if it had IBIS? Maybe the next iteration will… Besides, it's certainly not "very likely" that most people who buy one will use it with primes.
It's the only way I would use this camera. The 16mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.8 would be all I'd need for travel and more, but neither have IS. It's not the end of the world, but to me it misses the mark as a lightweight affordable travel kit because there's no IS in the lenses or in the body.
I'd rather use my phone than carry a camera like this and use a kit lens. In fact I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble and expense of the camera just to use it with the kit lens. You could put your money towards one of the top phones from Samsung, Apple, the Sony Experia or others and have a much simpler system, but to each his own.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
IF these mockups are correct, then its not a 7DMKII replacement, It would have looked more like an R6. This looks more low end and smaller, looks cheaper in price. How's the AF system will be my first question, buffer second, customizability third , electronic shutter speed 4th. Low end viewfinder with blackout? ssssss........

As for the buttons and layout, mf/af button I dont care maybe the button can be reprogrammed? In the back is where it starts looking different: On/off button on the right side? As an old Nikon user all I can say is finally! Have Canon moved the scroll wheel up to the joystick? Interesting that's a closer find with my thumb then currently on the r5/6, I could maybe like that. One scroll wheel on the back top right missing, BOOOOO! The proof will be in the pudding here, will look at first reviews before I decide to buy

The proof is never in the pudding. The proof of the pudding is in the taste. Please get your metaphors right.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
So the tariffs only apply to the R5/R6 and not the R3/R7/R10? That makes no sense.
The difference in the tariffs has been removed, but the difference in the classifications (HS codes) has not.

So, it might be possible that Canon would need to re-certify the cameras under different HS codes in some markets if it removes the limitation in a firmware update.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I'm genuinely very interested to see how this joystick dial works in the real world. I feel like Canon had to have learned from the touch-bar to not do this kind of thing without feedback from actual users, so I'm fairly confident Canon had to have gotten good feedback on it. To me, with the closer photos, it actually looks pretty nice. Seems like there's plenty of space between the joystick and the wheel to stop inadvertent changes, and looks like a natural position for the thumb to use both while gripping the camera firmly.

Odd to me that there's no third dial, but again, the control ring on the lens can make up for that. A little annoying though when you consider the big white supertelephoto RF lenses don't have a control ring, so with those you'd be limited to the rear aperture wheel and the shutter wheel. But, if you're using the control ring adapter and EF supertelephoto lenses, you still have a third ring.

Additionally, the added "ISO" button probably means Canon expects users to change ISO the old fashioned way, using the button + shutter wheel like on EF cameras.

Overall, it seems like the intent with these cameras is to be compact and cheap over anything else. I'll be interested to see how cheap. The R10 definitely screams "$800 or less" to me, but we'll see.

I think one missed part of this is, the R5, and likely the future "R5s" or whatever it gets called, are probably somewhat compensating for the flagship crop sensor spot of the original 7D. Already tons of wildlife and sports photographers who need 1.6x are using the R5 successfully in the crop sensor mode. The "R5s" when it comes out will almost definitely have a 32 megapixel crop mode, if not higher. If they pull off a high framerate, or allow faster FPS in crop mode, that could functionally be a pro-style 7D equivalent.

That leaves more room for the R7 to be more of a 90D-style camera, with a little more compactness for those traveling and needing to save room. If that helps bring the price down, I think that honestly helps the R7 sell more to consumers in general.
Concur and at $1500.00, I'm willing to try the R7 out for myself to see if it will find a place in my backpack. At this price point, didn't need to see any reviews to make a decision. Let the naysaying begin. Pre-ordered my copy this morn from B&H. I'll make up my own mind, once I get my body.......The annual Silver Bluff Audubon Sanctuary Wood Stork Kathwood ponds feeding frenzy comes in July. Since it lasts about a month, with a little luck, I'll be using my new R7 body +RF100-500mm zoom + 1.4 Ex to capture the event.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Since the 90D was the new repackaged 7DIII that makes sense.

Except it wasn't.

The AF system was a downgrade.
The body material was a downgrade.
The shutter durability rating was a huge downgrade.
Only one memory card slot was a downgrade.
Buffer depth was a downgrade.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Concur and at $1500.00, I'm willing to try the R7 out for myself to see if it will find a place in my backpack. At this price point, didn't need to see any reviews to make a decision. Let the naysaying begin. Pre-ordered my copy this morn from B&H. I'll make up my own mind, once I get my body.......The annual Silver Bluff Audubon Sanctuary Wood Stork Kathwood ponds feeding frenzy comes in July. Since it lasts about a month, with a little luck, I'll be using my new R7 body +RF100-500mm zoom + 1.4 Ex to capture the event.
I'm interested in seeing whether or not the 1.4xTC is any real advantage with this high density sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Except it wasn't.

The AF system was a downgrade.
The body material was a downgrade.
The shutter durability rating was a huge downgrade.
Only one memory card slot was a downgrade.
Buffer depth was a downgrade.
Yes, that was my point. It wasn't an upgrade, and neither is the R7. The latter is a mirrorless 90D. There is no mirrorless 7-series, just a camera that happens to be called an R7.

Upvote 0