Canon USA teases the Canon EOS R5c announcement

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Whenever I have a crash or frozen program on my computer, a dialog appears asking me if I want to send an error report to Apple so they can diagnose the cause. I guess one day all our cameras will be connected on the internet via data roaming, and error reports will be automatically transmitted, but probably not in my lifetime.
Same thing with Windows. I do have a sneaking suspicion though that most of these error reports end up in the computer equivalent of the circular file.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
And yet in my experience the ‘plastic’ EF L lenses I have have been better performers than the heavier metal ones I’ve owned. Engineered plastic is more durable and appropriate in many manufacturing cases than metals.

000D and00D series bodies can be dropped, burnt, and frozen, far outperforming a metal 1 series. 1 series bodies are very far from ‘tanks’ and can crack, I know this from personal experience.
Modern metal alloys vs plastic?… I’ll take metal. Most people associated metal build with higher quality than plastic. When I’m dropping a chunk of dough I expect metal build. If you’re argument really held weight the 1DX series and R1 would both have plastic bodies. Guess we will have to wait to see about the R1, but somehow I seriously doubt it will be plastic.

That said, it’s your money. As for me, if they want my cash they need to meet my expectations.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Modern metal alloys vs plastic?… I’ll take metal. Most people associated metal build with higher quality than plastic. When I’m dropping a chunk of dough I expect metal build. If you’re argument really held weight the 1DX series and R1 would both have plastic bodies. Guess we will have to wait to see about the R1, but somehow I seriously doubt it will be plastic.

That said, it’s your money. As for me, if they want my cash they need to meet my expectations.
My point was I am not a manufacturing materialologist but I trust Canon to get it right over random unqualified people on the internet. If they make something out of plastic I have overcome any unfounded preconceived prejudice I might have had before because I have bought and owned Canon plastic and metal bodies and lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I can’t find any Canon Cinema camera reviews on DPR. Can you link to a few? One? The closest I got was their review of the Canon XC10 camcorder. Could be their search engine is biased…

If DPR hasn’t reviewed a single Canon Cinema EOS camera, do you still think they’d get a preview unit of this one? I’m guessing “no” but I suppose we’ll see if there’s a hands on review on launch day. Or maybe we won’t have to wait longer than the announcement that was teased to see if DPR’s ‘not an R5c but something bigger’ is true or is instead as reliable as many of their Canon camera reviews.
DPR may not have reviewed any Canon cinema cameras before but they have reviewed the Sony FX3 and compared against A7siii

They may not get a pre-production model but I believe that they will do a comparison with the R5 and against the FX3 as there is significant interest from their user base - not to mention addressing the "overheating" debacle that the Sony fanboys bang on about over and over whenever the R5 is mentioned.

As long as the stills performance is not compromised, the pricing is a couple of hundred dollars more and the size/weight is marginally more then it should address all the negativity.

Upvote 0

Just need to look at the new RF lenses to see how different materials are now being used to reduce weight and maintain performance.
Metal is not as strong/stiff as other materials such as carbon fibre and weight generally is not a good thing (except for balance with long lenses).
I hate the cosmetic paint chips on the white EF lens mount as it wasn't adhering properly to the metal but that (thankfully) appears to have gone away with RF lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Looking forward to seeing this. What are the price predictions for this? I have seen everything from $4600.00 all the way up to $9000,00. Which I think is way too much. I am hoping for $4600,00 as then it will be in budget and I can pull the trigger and order. Anything more and I might need to go with the R5. Curious what the experts think?
Pricing for the body will be $4500

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Oh, I see. Then why are you bothering to test 4k and 6k video on the R3, "you can" shoot 8k on the R5? Sounds like you're planning to compromise.
None of the 'formats' I am testing for, are not the best possible standards. The point is, since you are missing it: One should film in the best possible CURRENT resolution and camera. Uff.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Oh, I see. Then why are you bothering to test 4k and 6k video on the R3, "you can" shoot 8k on the R5? Sounds like you're planning to compromise.
hahaha. There are other formats required for slow motion etc. I am testing to see the IQ difference. Also at time in Africa filming everything on 8k will prove counter production because of speed and space. You know all this, but want to argue like a child. DUMB.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Also at time in Africa filming everything on 8k will prove counter production because of speed and space. You know all this, but want to argue like a child. DUMB.
So you’re able to shoot in 8K, but you’ll choose not to for valid reasons. Yes, I know this. That’s called a compromise. You could have just admitted that it’s not always most important to shoot in the highest resolution possible, and that compromise is reasonable, without resorting to insults. Then again, perhaps that’s beyond you.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
So you’re able to shoot in 8K, but you’ll choose not to for valid reasons. Yes, I know this. That’s called a compromise. You could have just admitted that it’s not always most important to shoot in the highest resolution possible, and that compromise is reasonable, without resorting to insults. Then again, perhaps that’s beyond you.
o_O

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The master has spoken!

Upvote 0
Pricing for the body will be $4500
Thanks so much! Any idea if there will be any differences between this and the original R5 from a photography standpoint? I’ll be shooting 60% photos and 40% video and want all the same features as the R5, just the unlimited video and no over heating too. I plan to increase video use over the coming year though.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks so much! Any idea if there will be any differences between this and the original R5 from a photography standpoint? I’ll be shooting 60% photos and 40% video and want all the same features as the R5, just the unlimited video and no over heating too. I plan to increase video use over the coming year though.
Just to be clear, Danny is just guessing at the price he does not know what the price will actually be.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about this. I haven't heard anything definite.

Upvote 0